Saturday, June 15, 2013

38 and all's well...

 Today I got to do whatever I wanted, and didn't do anything I didn't want to do.  Yay for birthdays!  My day started with brunch at The Dish, which is super close to our house, and they know us.  We went there when I was in (early) labor with Aspen, and the day before River was born.  I love it.

My birthday flowers from Aspen

Then we rode our bikes down to Alki beach, where I was suddenly transported out of Seattle, and into Southern California.  We were surrounded by beach volleyball and bikinis.  I think I saw more bikinis today than in my whole 8 years in Seattle.

We met up with two wonderful friends for an afternoon playing in the sand,  rocks and sun.



"And that's the last time you'll be seeing these!"







Playing knock Mama over
Putting shells in between toes tickles

Aspen's crabshell

Osprey with a fish for dinner

"How's it smell?" "Good!"
If you ask River "How's...?" the answer is always good.

We watched 3 osprey catch fish to take back to the nest.  They kept circling back around, looking kind of like sea gulls, but so much bigger.  Then they swoop into the water, and come out with a fish.

My friends asked me what I wished for the next year.  My wishes are simple: to spend more time outside with my family-hiking, biking, backpacking.  I can't wait.

They also asked me what I memories I have from the previous year.  Lots of memories that stand out are related to my children.  In the past year, I:

  • watched my oldest growing out of being a toddler
  • watched my youngest leaving babyhood behind (ack, is being a parent always so bittersweet??)
  • became a (very) small business owner
  • started reclaiming a little bit of myself back by riding my bike, taking a fruit-growing class, teaching other small children and their parents about nature in the city
This year we are going to try (at least) our first backpacking trip since our honeymoon backpacking trip.

Today, on my birthday, I:

  • rode 30 miles, my longest ride yet
  • spent time with great friends
  • watched my oldest put her arm around her (not so) baby brother as he slept in the bike trailer next to her, and pull him to her
  • heard my youngest say "Happy birfday" for the first time.
It was a great day.

No comments: