Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lower Hylebos Marsh

October 2005: This is the Lower Hylebos Marsh, as it was being created. This construction was happening as I started my job, and it is the first project I have worked on from the very beginning. This site is to mitigate damage to salmon habitat on Hylebos Creek, and those are side channels that are being excavated.

March 2006: This is the second volunteer event at the site. We had 25 people planting native trees and shrubs. I'm in the background helping our previous Board President's son dig holes and plant.


May 2006: This is just after all the planting was finished. We planted 30,000 plants on this site, which is 15 acres. You can see the plants starting to fill in a little.

April 2007: This is a similar view to the one above, but the site has filled in a lot since the previous year. I was out collecting data for a mini-thesis for the Wetland Science and Management Program I was in.

Goldfinch eggs at the Lower Hylebos Marsh. This is in spring 2007, and the site is now home to many species of birds.

1 comment:

jeff said...

You do good marsh. *grin*